Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default Mind Stretchers

On Fri, 25 May 2012 17:10:49 -0700, KH wrote
(in article ):
On 5/24/2012 5:46 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

A visual image is often useful, and often misleading. A classic
example; you cannot form a visual image of 7-dimensional space. We have
no visual concept of more than three dimensions. But mathematically,
multiple additional dimensions are realizable, and often useful. If
there are no mathematical underpinnings for your "Image", and you have
no way of developing such supporting calculations, you have to accept
that your Image could simply be fallacious, irrespective of how obvious
its conclusions appear to you.

Ever watched a classical concert on PBS? Notice how the aural sound stage is
fixed but the cameras shoot from various angles? I find it unbelievably
disconcerting that the camera changes perspective almost constantly; shifting
from this instrument or that group of instruments to another then back to a
frontal view of the conductor, all the while, the strings remain on the left,
woodwinds in the center, brass and bass viols on the right. Now I'm not
suggesting that the microphones should move with the cameras, that would be
ridiculous. But what I think is that the camera should be fixed on the whole
stage as if I (or you) were sitting in the audience watching the performance.
Then the aural and visual perspective would match up. To me that's much more
realistic.

A PHOTOGRAPHIC ANALOGY

I love visual analogies.

Hadn't noticed ;-)

The analogy of sound to vision eventually breaks
down, but it is fun to try.

But this is the problem with reasoning by analogy; the analogy is only
useful when it is truly analogous in most, if not all, crucial aspects.
Since sound is room dependent, and video is not, the analogy breaks
down before it starts.

Agreed.