Posted to rec.audio.tech
kiwianalog kiwianalog is offline

Default can anyone identify this stylus and cartridge?

"Karl Uppiano" wrote in message

"kiwianalog" kiwi@analog wrote in message

What makes you think it needs replacing anyway? Removed the cartridge
carrier complete and look at the stylus end on with a powerful
magnifying lens or better still under a microscope. If it is damaged
it will be obvious.

Could it do any harm to spray some alcohol cleaning solution into the
cartridge or some crc to clean the gunk out, can't find any reference to
doing this in my google searches.

I am puzzled by your multiple references to gunk in the cartridge. I don't
know what they were playing, but normal vinyl records don't fill a

cartridge
with gunk. If the cartridge is truly gunked up, it might not be

salvageable.
I did not notice any gunk in the photos you posted, so I am not sure what
you are referring to. If there is something inside the cartridge body, it
might be wax or epoxy, to keep moisture out of the wiring. If that is the
case, it would be best not to attempt to remove it.

It is a yellowy sticky grime, there are spots of it on the outside of the
cartridge too and I have noticed this on another old cartridge so maybe it
is the epoxy you are referring too and it has leaked out over the years.