Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jenn

Default The truth about accuracy of CD v. LP

Ok. I have spent enough time getting feedback from objectivists
regarding their views on the accuracy of CDs in the real word. So it's
high time to state my case.

1. Live music in a goo acoustic space is my genereal reference. james
Boyk says it better than I can.
"What interest me in audio is perception, not technology. One
perception often lost in all the getting and spending is that live
sound is beautiful, while reproduced sound rarely is."
http://www.its.caltech.edu/~boyk/ear.htm
It is the *intrinsic* beauty of live music that I seek when I listen to
recordings of acoustic music. I know what it is. It is easily
recognizable when I hear live music and it is recognizably missing in
most playback. When it is there it is amazing. It is a matter of degree
not a black and white issue though.

OK my views on CDs vs.LPs as they help me achieve my goals in audio.
1. All else being equal IME LPs offer more of the intrinsic beauty than
CDs. I base this on comparisons of CDs and LPs made from the same
source by the same team of mastering enginees and producers. One
example I cited was the James Boyk recording of Pictures at an
Exhibition. i have also made the comparison with a number of oferings
fom Classics and APO. The diffeences were not huge but I did favor the
LPs.
2. The best sounding LPs sound better to me than the best sounding CDs
I have heard. Granted there is a limited sampling to sure and one can
claim I am comparing apples to oranges here but I am comparing the best
of the best on both sides. All in all it seems fair if one wants to
know which is providing the very best.
3. By and large when I compare the many CDs and LPs of a given title an
LP will usually sound the best. It used to be almost all of the time
but now it is about 70 to 80 percent of the time.

snip

Thanks, Scott, for eloquently summing up my thoughts on this topic. By
the way, I just received Boyk's LP of Debussy, Stravinsky, et al.
FANTASTIC! I had all of his LPs before I sold my collection in '95, so
I'm in the process of getting them again.