Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stewart Pinkerton

Default The truth about accuracy of CD v. LP

On 4 Mar 2006 19:20:14 GMT, "bob" wrote:

wrote:

snip all

Shorter Scott:
1. To me, the euphonic distortions of digital are beautiful.
2. Lots of recordings are badly made.
3. It's all digital's fault.

I presume that 1. above should have been "To me, the euphonic
distortions of analog are beautiful."

I think Scott actually thinks that the euphonic distortions of
analogue somehow make the sound more 'realistic', to him at least.

However, 2 and 3 seem to be accurate - even though Scott *very*
carefully edits highlights from reality to argue this case. Scott does
appear to think that because *some* CDs were badly mastered and/or
used poor ADCs back in the '80s, the base technology is somehow
inferior to vinyl.

To someone who was buying the garbage that mostly passed for vinyl in
the '70s, that's absolutely hilarious. And yes, I also bought a lot of
superb Sheffields etc in the same period, but that doesn't make vinyl
more accurate than CD.