Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default The truth about accuracy of CD v. LP

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 2 Mar 2006 00:28:20 GMT, (---MIKE---) wrote:

Scott wrote:

Actually they all will insert some form of
EQ.

Mike wrote:
These modifications are not necessary
when producing a CD. This means that
the LP cutting master can't possibly be
identical to the master tape for a CD.

Scott replied:
But it can and many are. Sometimes for
ambitious reasons sometimes for the
wrong reason.

You contradict yourself. If they ALL insert some form of EQ (RIAA) then
your last statement can't be correct. LP Master tapes MUST be
equalized.

While I generally support the argument that anyone using a 'flat'
cutting master is not getting the best possible sound from an LP, it's
not reasonable to describe RIAA pre-emphasis as 'EQ', because *all*
vinyl replay systems have the corresponding RIAA de-emphasis, the net
effect being flat.

Thank you.

It's certainly *possible* to run a mixdown master straight into a
cutting lathe - but you'll have a 'long playing' record with less than
ten minutes of music per side, and you'll need to be careful that you
don't totally lose the groove with off-centre bass notes, or melt the
cutter head with heavy cymbal work.

Well, Steve Hoffman and Kevin Grey have managed to get more than that
on each side for their top 100 Jazz series and they are cutting at 45
rpm.

Chances are too, that the
resultant LP will only be playable by a Shure V15.....

My Koetsu Rosewood signature has no trouble tracking these records or
any of the other records I have that were not tweaked for the purpose
of cutting.

Scott