Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default The truth about accuracy of CD v. LP

chung wrote:

If the discussion is about real world availability of commercial CD's
and LP's that the audiophile has to deal with

It is about real world commercial releases on both formats period. I
have many Lps and CDs that are out of print but they still work. They
don't cease to be real world LPs and CDs once they go out of print.

(and not about accuracy of
the media and the underlying technologies),

It is about that too but only in terms of real world commercial
releases sine *that* is what we have as audiophiles.

that it should be a short
discussion. In the real world, almost all new music performances are on
CD's. Only a tiny minority is available on LP's.

Well not entirely true but with that mind set one should not be
listening to anything recorded in years past. that would be tragic.

Not much sense in
comparing, since if you want to listen to those new performances, you're
stuck with listening to CD's.

That is a legitimate issue. But there is more to music than this year's
releases don't you think? OTOH as a big Neil Young fan I found a
comparison between the LP (yes it was released on LP) and the CD of his
latest release to be quite telling. On another note many of the best
CDs I have ever heard have been reissues. The scope extends past this
years titles.

Scott