Steven Sullivan

Default Active EQ and mic placement

wrote:
Regarding room equalization with a graphic equalizer, what consensus, if any
is there for placement of the microphone or SPL meter?

I had always thought that the best place was at ear level at the listeners
position, but is that best or should some averaging be done from multiple
locations.

Depends on whether it will be just one person listening
or several people. The new line of Pioneer receivers
allows both calibration modes (calibration for the sweet spot,
and calibration for several listening positions at once) and
lets you store and recall each, which seems the most sensible
given that sometimes you're listening alone, sometimes not.

I note the THX guidelines for using a home theatre equalizer says that EQ
for one position can result in poor performance at other points in the
listening area, but that calibration done with an SPL meter may be done from
a single reference position using the internal test signals from a home THX
controller. These are bandwidth limited signals they say minimize room mode
effects. Are we talking about pink noise signals or something else?

If they're minimizing room mode effects, they have minimal bass content,
because room modes are essentially a bass phenomenon. Moving up
through mid and treble frequencies, specular reflections become the main issue,
rather than modal resonance.

--
-S
"The most appealing intuitive argument for atheism is the mindblowing stupidity of religious