Stewart Pinkerton

Default More cable questions!

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:17:44 GMT,
wrote:

Isaac Wingfield wrote:

OK, this time it's speaker cables. I was wondering how construction
and geometry affect cable inductance.

Short answer: not in any way that matters *at all* for decently designed
amplifiers and speakers. Pathological cases may be different, but why
would you be using ineptly designed gear?

Hmm. I'm guessing that you missed the long interconnect thread I started
a few weeks ago. :-)

I've got well designed gear (in my opinion--intelligent solid-state
pre- and power- amps), and I'm not looking for audible effects. I'm
just mucking about, trying to understand the theory here, short of
taking a full electronics refresher course.

Now to partly answer my own question, I came across a great website
that discusses the issues I'm pondering. He titles the articles "Skin
effect" but in fact spends very little time on true skin effect.
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/...io/Analog.html
He does provide many graphs showing very clear effects of different
cable construction--all at about 100kHz, and most less than 0.1dB--
but measurable and predictable, nonetheless.

Yup, there are lots of readily measurable and predictable effects at
100kHz and around the 0.1dB level. Now, does this tell you anything
about audio cables..........................?