Don Pearce

Default More cable questions!

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 23:54:21 GMT,
wrote:

OK, this time it's speaker cables. I was wondering how construction
and geometry affect cable inductance. On the one hand, I'm told that
large conductor diameters and small interconductor spacing leads to
low inductance. On the other hand, I see where braided cables of small
conductors (i.e. Kimber's speaker cables) have remarkably low inductance.

So from a purely theoretical perspective, how do these different
cable structures lead to greater or lesser inductance in the cable,
assuming a consistent overall gauge?

Thanks,
Colin

They don't. Braiding the cables closely together leads - as you would
expect - to greater capacitance, not lower inductance. However, the
net effect in network terms is that the overall reactance is less
inductive. This is of course the same thing as more capacitive.

Somehow, as usual, the audio fraternity has managed to get the whole
thing arse-about-face. Every audio engineer should be obliged to take
a course in distributed RF modelling to understand what is really
going on at the upper reaches of the audio band.

http://www.pearce.uk.com