Kevin McMurtrie

Default More cable questions!

OK, this time it's speaker cables. I was wondering how construction
and geometry affect cable inductance. On the one hand, I'm told that
large conductor diameters and small interconductor spacing leads to
low inductance. On the other hand, I see where braided cables of small
conductors (i.e. Kimber's speaker cables) have remarkably low inductance.

So from a purely theoretical perspective, how do these different
cable structures lead to greater or lesser inductance in the cable,
assuming a consistent overall gauge?

Thanks,
Colin

It's all irrelevant for audio frequencies and normal lengths of wire.
Having the two conductors side by side is perfectly good. Just don't
split the wires and route them to the speaker along opposite walls.

It's not until you're sending high frequencies or sending audio across
town that it matters. In that case, twisted pair is a good tradeoff
between inductance, capacitance, weight, and cost. Coaxial cable is the
best regardless of cost and weight. The exact construction varies by
impedance.