Mark Zarella

Default speaker protection

Pug Fugley wrote:
"cujo613" wrote in message

Not to get into the middle of this, But i sure the hell remember sitting
through tech training with Soudstream, Phoenix Gold,
Orion,Audiobahn,even Infinity. And sure as **** i remember them saying
and emphasizing that underpowering a speaker will blow it. For years i
heard this. And yes ive read it also. Many times around 1988 to say
1993ish. Especially in the q&a in csr. People always getting the advice
to overpower. Basically the way i was always told is
clipping=distortion=heat=burned woofer. But it tends to make sense that
underpowering cant possibly hurt a sub. EXCEPT I WAS TRAINED TO BELEIVE
IT DOES. and after all that training you tend to get stubborn. so this
is what i beleive now, can underpowering a woofer blow? I dont give a
****, the only thing i know will blow a woofer for sure is having a
wing nut attached to the volume and gain control!!!!!!!!!!![flame]

Yep, that's what all my training and experience taught me as well.

I'd rather overpower than underpower, that's for sure.

Hell, I've got a 900 watt amp bridged to a SINGLE Image Dynamics IDQ-12
which is rated for what..200 watts?

That just goes to show how conservative those IDQs' ratings are. We all
know they can handle much more than that. Sort of like the JL w3s
claiming that they can only handle 150 watts or something.

5 years and it hasn't blown yet.
Oopss..I guess overpowering doesn't ALWAYS blow spekers, eh?

By the very definition of the word overpower, yes it ALWAYS blows
speakers. In other words, if you overpower a speaker, thus delivering
more power to it than it can safely handle, then you will blow it. If
you're not blowing it, then obviously you're not delivering more power
than it can safely handle! Make sense?

You've been in the business long enough to realize just how worthless
ratings are. At least I hope so. Perhaps that's what's confusing you?

http://www.geocities.com/audiotechpa...ingframes.html