Paul Vina

Default speaker protection

I thought it was a .707 rise? Or am I thinking of something else?

Paul Vina

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
.. .
I've seen many things done on the inside of a speaker. Tinsel wires

burned,
voice coil glue getting so hot the damn thing comes unwound, I've seen
formers that have swollen up so much that it just locks down. Just

recently
I actually had to rewind the voice coil of a JBL D130 that was made back

in
the 70's. The thing is rated to handle like 30 watts!

Everything you just listed is a result of overpowering. That is,
delivering more power to the speaker than it can handle. There is no
special type of waveform that will cause the temperature to
significantly rise in the speaker to cause the effects you listed at a
given power level. The only thing that can cause a rise in temperature
is increased power.

Incidentally, the power content of a square wave is twice that of an
equal amplitude sine wave. Perhaps that's what you're referring to?