Pug Fugley

Default speaker protection

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
.. .
Nothing. Just trying to debunk the thinking around here that the only

way to
damage a speaker is by overpowering it.

That IS the only way to blow a speaker. Do you know what happens when a
speaker is blown? Do you know any of the many different things that can
happen to the speaker thus rendering it "blown"? Name one thing that
could happen to a speaker, aside from mechanical damage which I presume
you're not talking about, that would blow a speaker WITHOUT requiring an
excess of power - and explain to me what happens inside the speaker that
makes it "blown". I think if you do this, you'll clarify your stance
a bit.

I've seen many things done on the inside of a speaker. Tinsel wires burned,
voice coil glue getting so hot the damn thing comes unwound, I've seen
formers that have swollen up so much that it just locks down. Just recently
I actually had to rewind the voice coil of a JBL D130 that was made back in
the 70's. The thing is rated to handle like 30 watts!