Mark Zarella

Default speaker protection

It's like if you were to say that Metallica is harmful to speakers. A
ridiculous assertion of course. Though you CAN blow speakers playing
Metallica as long as the power content exceeds what the speakers are
capable of safely handling.

There's a major difference in recorded guitar distortion and the distortion
created by an amp being overdriven beyond it's limits. I'm shocked you
didn't know that already.

This ought to be good. Explain to me the difference between, say, a
square wave recorded in the studio and played back on your stereo and a
sine wave severely clipped by your amplifier such that it resembles a
square wave.

Note that I'm not saying that typical guitar distortion resembles a
square wave. Rather, I'm challenging your assertion that the speaker
can somehow distinguish between distortion created by the recording, the
source, or the amplifier. The speaker does not have access to the
original information, so it's impossible for it to determine whether or
not the signal presented to it deviates from the original signal (ie.
distortion).