Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Loud vocals are better dealt with at the Local Level....

Peter Larsen wrote:
"Les Cargill" skrev i en meddelelse

Peter Larsen wrote:

A well chosen local compression on just the peaky stuff tends to work
better
for me and to be less obviously audible than doing it manually and I'd
rather have a problem with the dynamics than have the vocalist messing
with
my - via mic setup - configured ratio between direct and reflected sound
by
moving around.

Compression will alter the ratio between direct and reflected sound
anyway. You can't win

You forgot to say track compression, then you're right.

Spot on, sir.

I was talking about
applying the - self designed - soprano control preset in my A3 for just the
duration of - ahem - lack of control of dynamics. It is also the least harm
when applied for the duration only to the track.

Interesting. That's a tougher job.

This being said, anymore I'd be likely to reach for compression unless
it's a small number of adjustments per song. I have a couple of plugins
that are pretty good at this. But it depends.

Having a well isolated vocal track

I will almost always try to have this. For your work that's tougher.

vs. having one that is not and where the
gain relation between spot mike and main pair can not be changed for image
stability - or only a main pair are different situations and what works best
differs.

Right!

Les Cargill

Kind regards