Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Loud vocals are better dealt with at the Local Level....

Peter Larsen wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" skrev i en meddelelse

The implication is that if you'd tracked it right, you wouldn't have to
do that. But sometimes, it's just that way.

Depends a lot on the style and how predictable the vocalist is. If it's
traditional acoustic stuff, that would certainly be the case.

Vocalists that have enough control so that they can be transferred, mix or
master or whatever, to delivery format audio without any kind of gain riding
are few and far between.

A well chosen local compression on just the peaky stuff tends to work better
for me and to be less obviously audible than doing it manually and I'd
rather have a problem with the dynamics than have the vocalist messing with
my - via mic setup - configured ratio between direct and reflected sound by
moving around.

Compression will alter the ratio between direct and reflected sound
anyway. You can't win

This being said, anymore I'd be likely to reach for compression unless
it's a small number of adjustments per song. I have a couple of plugins
that are pretty good at this. But it depends.

--scott

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

--