Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Loud vocals are better dealt with at the Local Level....

Paul wrote:
....as opposed to using a limiter to squash the
offending passage (and everything else).

Just did this tonight. The multi-band limiter
will certainly do it's job, but at a price. The
clarity of the vocal sibilance, which is crucial
for enunciation and understanding, will often suffer.

Much better to cut a small localized piece of the
loud passage, and reduce the volume of only that small
chunk of audio.

Too bad I spent quite a bit of time adjusting the
multi-band compressor/limiter parameters in Ozone 5,
before I realized it was cleaner to use the built-in
compressor in Cubase 5.

Less is often More!

Ozone 5 is very powerful software, but it can
kill the clarity of a track easily.

Dave Morgan would have a legal pad and write down time marks and
fader moves. You can do same with gain-line drawing tools now.

Or put a slightly more remote mic on the singer and comp together
a mix of those two tracks.

You probably don't want to mix the vocal mics unless you
can align them and that may or may not be easy.

--
Les Cargill