Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default OT(?) Which CD better?

"~misfit~" wrote in message
My first post here, please be gentle....

I just saw one of my old favourite CDs (and an excellent yardstick for
judging stereos or speakers) in a 'specials' bin. It's Rickie Lee Jones'
eponymous album from 1979.

I'm in New Zealand and my copy, which I bought in about 1980 and gets
listened to at least weekly, was manufactured by Warner Music Australia.
This copy that I just bought (even though my original is still in perfect
condition I like it enough to buy a second copy) is made in Germany by
Record Services GmbH, Alsdorf.

I was just wondering, is there likely to be any difference in quality /
sound between them? (My main system is limping while the main speaker's
mids are getting re-coned and my back-up speakers are fine for HT but not
for critical audio reviewing.)

The answer to your question is something that you can determine for yourself
with just an ordinary computer.

Just download EAC or CDEX (freeware), and convert the CDs to digital files.
Both products include digital file comparison utilities that will tell you
whether or not they are identically the same.