Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] air453@gmail.com is offline

Default Vintage Shure 55c, trouble getting good sound quality

Did you replace the transformer with one from an SM58 or did you
connect the wires from the capsule directly to the connector at the
base of the mic?

At first I connected the capsule directly to the original connector
(two wires, one green and one yellow which perfectly matched the wires
on SM58), and got a very good sound, but there was substantial hiss
(not huge, but noticeable). Although I've done some soldering before,
I didn't want to cut the cable and replace it with an XLR connector
just yet (mostly because it's the only vintage connector I have, and I
didn't want to mess it up), so I decided to try installing the
internal transformer from the SM58, which I had just managed to get
out by basically boiling the glue around it (as had been suggested on
the internet). It was messy, and I wasn't sure the transformer was
going to work, but I attached it and got significantly higher output
and less noticeable hiss. I was even able to slide it into the same
slot the original vintage transformer was housed in!

I also did not notice much of a difference between the sound quality
with or without the internal transformer (they both sounded warm),
though my ears are probably just not that sensitive!

This is a problem. You're taking a low impedance/low level output from
the capsule, and running it through a transformer that further steps
down the voltage.

Yeah, that's what I thought

Assuming you have no transformer in your mic now (or even if you do),
you should rewire the connector at the base of the microphone to
conform to the "low impedance" configuration as shown on the schematic
(http://k-bay106.com/shure55a.pdf). Then use a piece of two conductor
shielded cable to go between the mic connector and an XLR. If you use
the original Shure wiring inside the mic (you should), the cable
shield goes to Pin 1 on both the mic connector and the XLR, and pins 2
and 3 of the mic connector go to the corresponding pins on the XLR.

I will probably try this. The cable I have is this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Micropho...QQcmdZViewItem
Am I assuming correctly that if I simply remove the 1/4" connector and
replace it with an XLR connector (wiring it the way you suggested) I
will have a proper lo-z cable for my microphone?

Thanks again for all your help, Mike, and thank you Peter for your
comments!

Adam