Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Vintage Shure 55c, trouble getting good sound quality

On Jan 13, 10:55 pm, wrote:
Just to let everyone know what I did, I wound up replacing the capsule
in the mic with an SM58 capsule,

I had to remove the original capsule (which is still intact and
usable) and its transformer

Did you replace the transformer with one from an SM58 or did you
connect the wires from the capsule directly to the connector at the
base of the mic?

I get a very slight hiss when I turn the gain on the mixer up that I
don't get with an SM57 that I have. I think the problem is that the
cable I have for it has a 1/4" mono connector at the end, which I then
use a hi-z/lo-z transformer to fit into an XLR input.

This is a problem. You're taking a low impedance/low level output from
the capsule, and running it through a transformer that further steps
down the voltage.

I think I need
a cable with an XLR connector at the end as opposed to a transformer.

That's correct. One "modification" to an SM57 (and I assume this also
applies to an SM58 since they're essentially the same capsule) is to
remove the transformer. This improves the low frequency response and
reduces some distortion, at the cost of a slightly lower output
level.

Assuming you have no transformer in your mic now (or even if you do),
you should rewire the connector at the base of the microphone to
conform to the "low impedance" configuration as shown on the schematic
(http://k-bay106.com/shure55a.pdf). Then use a piece of two conductor
shielded cable to go between the mic connector and an XLR. If you use
the original Shure wiring inside the mic (you should), the cable
shield goes to Pin 1 on both the mic connector and the XLR, and pins 2
and 3 of the mic connector go to the corresponding pins on the XLR.

This should give you a normal SM58 output level which, at a distance
of 4-5 inches, should require less than full gain on your preamp.