Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Vintage Shure 55c, trouble getting good sound quality

wrote:

Just to let everyone know what I did, I wound up replacing the capsule
in the mic with an SM58 capsule, and it sounds fantastic! Here is the
test:

Not neutral, but you never wanted that and there is bit of unuqie
flavouring to it from the case, congrats!

I get a very slight hiss when I turn the gain on the mixer up that I
don't get with an SM57 that I have. I think the problem is that the
cable I have for it has a 1/4" mono connector at the end, which I then
use a hi-z/lo-z transformer to fit into an XLR input. I think I need
a cable with an XLR connector at the end as opposed to a transformer.
Does this make sense?

Yes.

Anyway, this is what wound up happening. Thank you all for your help
and ideas! I'm really happy with the result!

You should so be. You have a unique one off "vintage-style" sound.

Adam

Kind regards

Peter Larsen