Mikey

(Hellenason7) wrote in message ...
From: "Ethan Winer" ethanwat

Lee nailed it. If you have even a tiny leak that will negate any benefit
from adding mass.

Does that mean that with "leaks" (ie, less than 100% coverage, or in
my case, perhaps 70% of an interior wall covered with MDF board), there will
basically be no sound reduction at all?
Or will there be "some" impact, just not nearly as much as 100% coverage?

I'm just looking for some sound reduction. If covering 70% or so of
the walls with some very dense board (a la MDF) will provide some reduction,
I'll probably try it. If it will provide next to no reduction, then obviously
I'd be wasting time and money.
Thanks!

Covering 70% of the walls might give you 10-20% reduction in
transmitted sound. Not worth it. Your OP mentioned windows and guitar
cabs. Spend your money on sealing up the windows as tight as possible,
making a 2nd barrier (insulated shutters) for the windows, and
building an iso cabinet for the amp. Maybe an iso room for the drums,
too.

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
This sig is haiku