Mike Rivers

In article writes:

Don't mean to be argurmentative, but I have never, ever seen any RCA ribbon mic
with a grounded
center tap(including 44A's, PB90's & all the way back).

Well, you've certainly been there. I think the info about the grounded
center tap came to me from Fletcher, who has probably seen several
with damaged ribbons.

No ribbon mic, other than those with active electronics, are truly "phantom
safe". It's just
some mics are more sensitive to phantom thumps than others. This has to do
with factors like
the turns ratio of the mic's transformer, ribbon size, thickness & corrugation
type, and magnet
strength.

I remember hearing a lot about the turn-on transient magnetizing the
core of the transformer, and that caused non-linearity. In theory I
guess both are possible, but I would expect that they'd be building
transformers so as to minimize that effect.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )