Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

Default 171a

On 2019-07-22 12:21, Peter Wieck wrote:
For most "popular" vintage radio tubes (Valves), there are solid-state replacements. And a small amplifying triode such as the 71A is a trivial exercise along those lines.

Put in a glass device for appearance. Put in a solid-state device for operation.

Refurbishing a globe tube - not so much.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

yeah I wouldn't want to refurbish a tube amp with solid state
replacements, though. New designs, maybe. Some MOSFET devices would
work very well in that kind of application, hundreds of volts Vds etc..
JFET seems possible also but not sure if the parts would be as easily
available.

Most of the time I deal with MOSFETs for switching, like voltage control
from a microcontroller, so it's alwaysw enhancement types, not too
concerned about linearity. Depletion MOSFETS with linear operating
ranges are 'out there' but not sure how they're being used in non-RF
linear applications these days. Probably a lot available in online
parts selectors.

--
(aka 'Bombastic Bob' in case you wondered)

'Feeling with my fingers, and thinking with my brain' - me

'your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie'
"Straighten up and fly right"