Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

Default Best new EL84 tubes?

** FYI, I have a prototype 2x EL84 output stage here that delivers over 50 watts with low THD and no overheating. The trick is to use a split supply of 325V and 650V for screens and plates respectively.

probably works ok for hi-fi but I wonder how it would handle output tube
overload distortion for a guitar amp...

I guess you could run clipped sine waves through it to find out. I used
to test power amplifiers under conditions like that by dunking a
somewhat-high-wattage 8 ohm resistor (tied to speaker outputs) in a
glass of water. It's funny to watch it boil the water just a bit...