Dairenn Lombard

Default Upgrading CDR Drive on Alesis Masterlink??

Len Moskowitz wrote:
JD990 wrote:

I noticed in the Masterlink update notes that Alesis
has provided support for the Sony CRX-225E which is
a 52 X burner. If I replace the currect drive mechanism with
the Sony will I be able to burn discs at a faster speed than
the stock burner??

You'll probably also have to replace the ROM on the motherboard. Check
with Alesis to confirm.

These boxes are somewhat of a nightmare to upgrade. I planned on upgrading the
hard drive and so before spending money on a new disk, I called Alesis to get
the specs on what the firmware is expecting (since, by trade, I'm a unix
admin). They said no bigger than a 20GB ATA drive. I get one, jumpered to
master and opened up my ML-9600...

Well, the hard disk is directly beneath the CD-ROM drive. No problem, just
find the screws to the drive cage and... What's this? The screws are
_entirely_ inaccessable! I really tried to get it out of there but to this
day, I still have the original near-4gb drive in there.

My only hope was to take the IDE and power cables and make them reach in such a
way that I could sit the new hard disk in the vast open space behind the vacuum
display inside the case. The IDE cable reached, but the power cable didn't so
I ended up getting one of those 4-pin Y connectors from Fry's that gave me the
reach I needed. Formatted the drive since I was going to upgrade MLOS anyway,
and now, I've got a over 20 hours of 24bit-48KHz capacity which, seems like a
lot until you start juggling numerous projects.

I once had all 16 playlists filled up with 10 or so tracks each. I actually
had 20 hours of music on this thing.

I can't imagine how a person can remove the CD recorder in it though. You
probably have to send the unit to Alesis.

--
Dairenn Lombard
Los Angeles, CA - http://www.base-ix.com/~dlombard/