Joe Sanborn

I think it starts with getting a good tone on a tube amp (I like the Soldano
heads for Rock or the Mesa Dual Rectifier for drop tuned stuff) a big key is
the type of speaker in the cab, I love the tight sound of a Vintage 30 in
a closed back cab (my favorite is a 2x12 Mesa Rectifier cab). I think the
SM57 is the best starting point for a mic but I tend to like the Sennhieser
MD409 (older ones with gold mess on one side) they have a great rock sound
to them. Sometimes I will also throw up a Royer 121 ribbon about a foot
back and mix in uder the SM57 or 409.