Posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default [CM] Headphones - Hearing aids

On 23/04/2017 7:05 PM, geoff wrote:
On 22/04/2017 4:54 AM, Johnny B Good wrote:
frequency. Continuous exposure to high SPLs accelerates this reduction in
the maximum frequency limit of hearing in each individual's case. It's
quite important to tailor a hearing aid's frequency response and gain so
as to avoid needlessly doing more harm than good.

I don't know enough about it to have an opinion other that the concept
of boost level at various frequencies could do immense more harm.

.... like if I'm 20dB down at 14kHz, boosting that 14kHz by 20dB would
seem more likely to destroy whatever was left around there real quick !

Good luck finding a hearing aid with response to 14kHz let alone one
that allows you to boost that frequency by 20dB! Most audiograms and
most hearing aid adjustments stop at 8kHz.

Secondly if we are to take your statement literally then nobody should
wear ANY hearing aid for fear of damaging what is left of their hearing
at any frequency!

I'm surprised people bother to make these comments without knowing
anything about hearing aids.