Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kevin McMurtrie[_3_] Kevin McMurtrie[_3_] is offline

Default PCM Stereo or DTS HELP

In article ,
bkluk7 wrote:

My Audio setup: Blu Ray player to 5.1 Yamaha Receiver via digital coax.

I realize that PC M is an uncompressed format that should sound better
than DTS or Dolby Digital. However, while watching a Blu Ray last night,
something didn’t sound quite right with the surround sound. Movie
dialogue was alternating between the center channel and L/R speakers,
and the SL and SR didn’t seem to be working correctly.

Upon troubleshooting, the blu ray PLAYER audio output format was PCM,
but my receiver only detected/sent it in stereo (only the L and R
speakers were lit on the display). When I changed the output mode of the
blu ray PLAYER to DTS, the receiver detected/sent proper 5.1. When I
went to the audio settings on the actual blu ray DISC, the
primary/standard option (the only option in English and without
subtitles) was 6.1 DTS.
I ended up keeping the blu ray PLAYER output format on DTS to match, and
the surround worked.

I thought PCM was the new standard. If a DISC only outputs in DTS, is
this correct? How do I get PCM surround? Is this only available using
an HDMI cable?

PCM has nothing to do with the number channels.

Are you using digital coax or TOSLINK? Those are typically bandwidth
limited to using DTS for surround sound. HDMI can do better.

--
I will not see posts from astraweb, theremailer, dizum, or google
because they host Usenet flooders.