Posted to rec.audio.car
SKaReCRoW SKaReCRoW is offline

Default Dual Voice Coil Question

I wouldn't even suggest you try it. Best case scenario is you can only give
the subs 1/2 of the power.

"A common misconception with regard to dual voice coil speakers is the
assumption that nothing changes if you power only one of the voice coils.
With only one coil hooked up, a dual voice coil speaker will suffer a loss
in reference efficiency of about 3dB (only half the coil windings are being
energized) as well as a significant shift in its Thiele/Small parameters.
This renders any enclosure calculations inaccurate unless you remeasure the
speakers parameters with only one coil hooked up. Failure to account for the
different parameters of a dual voice coil speaker with only one coil powered
can result in very poor performance."

Above quote is taken directly from JL Audio's website at
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=163

So would it be worth it to you to get more power to subs that can handle
less, and are 3dB less efficient? I'd bet not.

"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...
I will start by saying the obvious answer to my question is to "just try
it". But in the interest of educating myself, I would appreciate some
information.

I recently bought 2 15" subs, each has dual 4 ohm voice coils. They are
both being driven by an Alpine Class D 850 watt amp (MRV-850, I think).
This mono amp is 2 ohm stable, yet there is no way to configure the four
voice coils to reach a 2 ohm load (I could connect all four in parellel
but that would be a 1 ohm load and I KNOW from experience I could damage
the amp). They are connected now so that my amp sees a 4 ohm load
(through a combination of parellel and series wiring).

The question I have is regarding the possibility of connecting just one
voice coil from each sub and wiring that to my amp, giving me a 2 ohm load
and more power from my amp.

HOWEVER, undoutedly there is a cost to doing this, like my subs become
capable of handling 1/2 the power they used to. As I recall from posts in
the past, the coils overlap each other on the former so I was thinking
that by doing this I wouldn't lose excursion. Or would I?

Basically, my question boils down to this; does the increased power
produced by a 2 ohm load exceed the benefits of having both coils
connected.

Any information on this subject would be appreciated.

MOSFET