Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Digital Audio Restoration

wrote:
Trevor wrote: "- show quoted text -
Well to be fair, the incorrect terminology is actually written into the
standards for amplifiers etc. as most of us know. :-(
It's just not worth arguing this one.

Trevor. "

The nice thing for you(or Scott, et al) to do is explain WHY
RMS isn't relevant. I know that RMS doesn't take into
consideration the frequency range of what's being measured,
but that's as much as I know so far.

None already did that. What is being measured is average power. If you
take RMS current and RMS voltage and multiply, you get average power, not
RMS power. People call it "RMS power" but it isn't.

The math is not worth posting here but I believe it is due to Oliver Heaviside.