Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Digital Audio Restoration

None wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
RMS power is often mis-used to mean average power.

This is true but we have given up fighting that battle 40 years ago.
--scott

I don't know whether that's a "royal we" or you have a mouse in your
pocket, but in my day job, I'm not very tolerant of sloppy terminology
or sloppy dimensional analysis. It very frequently makes a difference.
RMS power, "cycles" or "centigrade" as units, "phase" for polarity, and
the like, don't appear on any document to which I contribute or provide
approval.

It's generally known that the standard test for power in
amplifiers is to run a 1kHz sine wave thru the DUT and
increase the gain until some distortion limit is reached.

This provides a reasonably standard means of classifying
the power capability of the amplifier.

When someone calls an amp "100W RMS", that's what
that means. All thing being equal,it's 3dB more
power than a 50W RMS amp.

If people use that to mean something else then
that's too bad. But the term is one which is not only
meaningful but useful as well.

--
Les Cargill