Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default mics for classical guitar

chris ruth wrote:

Any recommendations for mics that may be an upgrade from Oktava
MK-012s for recording classical guitar.
Let pre-empt some of your questions

room - ok, treated so kind of 'dead' on purpose
guitar - great!
player - ok (well it's me, i can post some recordings if you want to
gauge that)
equipment - usbpre 2 and laptop...that's it!
I will also do some guitar orchestra (boston guitar orchestra)
recordings live, and spaces vary alot.

thats
Chris

I think you've omitted one important parameter.

How much are you willing to spend, what's your max outlay for this
upgrade?

If not so much, Arny's suggestion of omni caps for your Oktavas could be
a fine next step. If more but not outrageously more, Ty's Josephson C42
MP's are a good ticket. Up from there the Schoeps are fine tools,
regardless of your choice of caps, omni, card, or hyper.

There are other options, like the Brauner VM1S, or Josephson C700S.

Your playing will turn out to make the biggest difference. After that
mic configuration and placement will be the dominanat factors affecting
recording quality. Feeding into that last item are your budget and the
way different configurations work in your room.

If you you listen now to the recordings you have made with your present
setup, how do you personally rate the playing, and the mic config and
placement?

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri

..