Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default mics for classical guitar

chris ruth wrote:

[thread lost in schoepsung]

WAIT. You guys are great but i think i should give some more info (as
usual)

Budget ~ $800.

Allowed for in my suggestions, C42 as well as KSM 141 should be well within
that for a matched pair.

I'd like the mic

Pair of mics - or 4 even, my best folly for many years was to buy 2 pairs of
C42's that cam for sale simultanously - one here in Copenhagen and the other
in the US of A. Perhaps you should devote some time to learn stereo
recording since you keep saying mic rather than mics. Even if for a track in
a multitrack you should in my opinion - track count permitting - record your
guitar in stereo. With a guitar ensemble you DO need to learn how to set a
stereo pair up, it is NOT gonna sound right in multi-mono. If it is just a
spot mic used with a main pair, then using only one mic can be better than
using a pair, a spot mic is there to focus the instrument image.

I'm still only learning, and have been for 40 years, do not expect to get
good at setting up a stereo pair already in take 3.

Maybe i should stick with the Octava MK-012s for the small room
recording and just get another mic for live??
I have omni and cardiod capsules for the octavas.

Just what problem is it you need to solve then, they're perhaps not the
pinnacle of reliability - no mic with detachable capsules is, but not at all
bad mics. You should look into whether a Jecklin disk is a strategy for you,
it is forgiving and very useful in case you can not - and in real life live
recording you rarely can - get far enough away from an ensemble. A problem
that btw. also often necessitates 45 to 60 degrees angle between an ""ORTF
pair"" rather than the ""proper"" ORTF angle of 110 degrees. If there is a
hole in the middle the size of the US budget hole, then the angle needs
narrowing, if too much mono it needs widening, I try to reserve extreme left
and right for ambience. Recorded rooms and stages usually ARE wider than the
ensemble, remember!

thanks

Kind regards

Peter Larsen