Scott Gardner

Default Mechanic blames amplifier for alternator failing?? Help>>>>>>>>>>>

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 01:13:58 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie

(Scott Gardner) wrote:

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 23:17:43 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie
wrote:

Even handheld mobile transmitters use capacitors of 1F to 5F. Putting a
few F on a high powered audio amp is like waxing your car to make it go
faster.

"SHREDİ" wrote in message

I would love to see "1F to 5F" of capacitance in a handheld mobile
transmitter. The ones that are used in car audio aren't the size they
are for nothing.

Scott Gardner

Small:
http://www.maxwell.com/ultracapacito...mall_cell.html
http://www.powerstor.com/products_supercapacitors.asp

Medium:
http://www.maxwell.com/ultracapacito...arge_cell.html

Large:
http://www.maxwell.com/ultracapacito...s/modules.html

It's a different chemistry than the giant aluminum foil caps. It's more
expensive, too. Another car battery is cheaper but you could get 416F
by putting 6 Maxwell PC2500 caps in series under your seat, if you
really wanted to. I wouldn't want to be in your car during an accident.

Thanks for the links. I think it's kind of "apples and oranges",
though, because the small and medium caps on the Maxwell site are 2.5V
and 5.0V models, and the large ones are 17 pounds and 42 pounds -
hardly what I'd call suitable for handheld mobile use. Still *very*
interesting. I had read a little about these "supercapacitors", but
had no idea they were THAT small, considering their capacitance.

Anyway, I've found capacitors very useful in several installations, as
long as you don't have unreasonable expectations of what you want them
to do. I've never heard them make bass "tighter" or "cleaner" or
anything like that. I use them specifically to take care of
flickering lights during transients, but ONLY if the alternator can
handle the average current demands, and ONLY if I've already checked
out the wiring to the headlamps to make sure it's not corroded, loose,
or undersized.

I think capacitors got a bad rep when people started using a Farad or
more of capacitance on every installation as some sort of a "bass
enhancer". That's not what they're for.

Scott Gardner