Posted to rec.audio.pro
Hugh Verdam Hugh Verdam is offline

Default DI Box distorted through amp

Well, I'm so confused tonight I don't know what to tell you. I just
tried it again. First, I plugged the cabinet back in. There is a
second external speaker jack and I plugged the DI back into that. So
there was a speaker load on the amp.

And it recorded great! So it's the speaker being removed that messes
things up, right?

No! Because then I unplugged the speaker and recorded again and it
sounded great!

I just don't know what was going on last night and why it's all OK
tonight. The only thing I did differently was turn up the gain on my
fireface pre. Its range is from 10 db to 60 db. Last night I had it
turned completely down to 10. Tonight it was over 35. Why that would
make a difference, I can't guess.

I can capture the tone of the amp pretty well. You can tell that the
speaker is not there adding its tone as well, though.

Phillip--the question you're asking below is dead on. Last night, I
was getting #1 no matter what volume I set. Tonight, only if I
completely crank the first volume to overdrive the tube do I get #2,
which is expected.

I'm going to chalk this whole thing up to poltergeists.

Back to the Power Soak question. If I decide to continue this and
actually find one of those (I think the Sholz version is out of
production), where does it go in the chain...

Amp - DI - Powersoak?

or

Amp - Powersoak - DI?

On 26 Dec 2006 17:49:55 -0800, wrote:

I may be wrong, but I think some tube amps don't like to have no
speaker (or equivalent load) connected, so that might be a cause for
your distorded signal. I think it would help if we knew:

1- Do you talk about a normally clean sound that ends up distorted or
2- A fuzz sound that sounds way too harsh.

The 1st case is a problem. The second one is normal as you remove the
speaker sound from the equation.