Posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro

Default 8 ohm version drastically louder than 4 Ohm version of same loudspeaker model

"Les Cargill"
Phil Allison wrote:

BTW

The size of the magnet does not change with rated impedance - 4, 8 and
16
ohms versions have identical magnet structures.

I think that's probably true, based on what I've seen.

Speakers have been made with impedances from 0.5 ohms ( eg Bose) up to
hundreds of ohms and the only thing that changes in the gauge of the wire
wound on the voice coil.

FWIW, I have found trolling through the Eminence online catalog to be
a source of a great deal of data on loudspeakers.

** Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see ... "

..... Phil