Posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro

Default 8 ohm version drastically louder than 4 Ohm version of same loudspeakermodel

Phil Allison wrote:
"Peter Larsen"

A sane way to design the 4 Ohm box would btw. be to stick with the same
midrange and top components as in the 8 Ohm box.

** Long as similar woofers and compression drivers are available in 4 and 8
ohms, that is the easiest way to do it.

( Note that the 8 ohm version uses a 16 ohm compression driver. )

But there sees to be no valid technical reason to make a 4 Ohm box for
those that can't afford large amplifiers if it ends up in toy class
efficiency so that they get more sound from the same amp by getting the 8
Ohm version.

** Obviously true.

Another way to convert any box from 8 to 4 ohms is to simply install a
matching transformer at the input, ie an auto-transformer that gives a 41%
step up in voltage.

A toroidal cored type would make it quite small and inexpensive too.

That seems like a free lunch. It isn't, but it seems like one
1.41 is dangerously close to sqrt(2).

BTW

The size of the magnet does not change with rated impedance - 4, 8 and 16
ohms versions have identical magnet structures.

I think that's probably true, based on what I've seen.

Speakers have been made with impedances from 0.5 ohms ( eg Bose) up to
hundreds of ohms and the only thing that changes in the gauge of the wire
wound on the voice coil.

FWIW, I have found trolling through the Eminence online catalog to be
a source of a great deal of data on loudspeakers.

.... Phil

--
Les Cargill