Posted to rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro

Default 8 ohm version drastically louder than 4 Ohm version of same loudspeaker model

Phil Allison wrote:

** From your graphs, the woofers seem close in level but there is
something fishy going on with the other two drivers.

Thank you Phil, that is how it sounds and the difference in sound was what
made me measure. I am waiting for a response from Yorkville and I will call
them pr. telephone if I don't get one tomorrow.

DHL called me today, they have found the box they mislaid and will deliver
it on wednesday.

Image of the boxes added to the web site, notice the incorrect fitting of
the gray band on the 4 Ohm box, it is in front of the treble driver. See
http://www.muyiovatki.dk/yorkville

At a guess, the woofer is an 8 ohm replacement, the horn driver is 16
ohms and the tweeter is burnt out.

That would be wonderful in as much as it is a piezo and I wouldn't mind
replacing it with some bullet tweeter or diffraction tweeter and it would
then only be about getting an 8 Ohm cross-over as sparepart. But I am
beginning to wonder about magnet sizes. But I just do not have time to do a
lot of taking apart today - first day on the day job after vacation, and I
don't want to desolder an ebay purchase with acceptance pending for
impedance measurement before hearing from Yorkville. What makes me want to
"take apart" is also that I want to look at magnet sizes ..

A sane way to design the 4 Ohm box would btw. be to stick with the same
midrange and top components as in the 8 Ohm box. But there sees to be no
valid technical reason to make a 4 Ohm box for those that can't afford large
amplifiers if it ends up in toy class efficiency so that they get more sound
from the same amp by getting the 8 Ohm version.

The money side of it is however that it will cost me another GBP 160 to
refuse them and ship them back and they were cheap at GBP 225 for the pair
..... it is quite possibly just "less of a bargain".

.... Phil

I will make a summary follow up when I know more, from a technical viewpoint
is is a fascinating conundrum. One of the more extreme fixes would be to get
a set of 8 Ohm innards from Yorkville.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen