Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

Default HD or BluRay?

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
news
The size of lossy-compressed video files is shall we
say, negotiable. ;-)

Just how much extra compression can you apply and still
call it HD Arny?

AFAIK, there is no standard.

Of course not, I was asking for your definition.

I have worked out some methogologies for estimating the actual amount of
data that my HDTV capture card is processing for various TV shows. There

is
at least a 3:1 variation in data rate among network and local programs

that
display as a 16:9 picture and are labelled as being HDTV.

It's already a compressed format after all.

It appears that the amount of compression can be controlled locally.

Of course it can, and you can end up with a so called "HD" stream that
consists of a few visible blocks on the screen if you really want.
Certainly NOT my definition of HD/Blu Ray anyway!!!! But you may be happy
with ACTUAL picture quality lower than DivX for all I know :-)

It's a bit like my pet peeve of 480 line plasma's coming with HD tuners and
calling themselves HD. Some people are sucked in of course, and that's the
whole point.

MrT.