Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

Default HD or BluRay?

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 06:34:28 +1100, Mr.T MrT@home wrote:

"Randy Yates" wrote in message
I don't have any facts to refute you, but my "gut" tells me this is way
off-base. I would guess that "most" folks (in the U.S.) have the ability
to download 20 GB more or less overnight right now [1], and that the
internet pipes are only going to grow bigger over time.

Is overnight, or even a couple of days, too long to wait? I don't think
so - many folks wait two to four days to exchange a movie from Netflix
these days.

--Randy

[1] The average cable modem download speed is around 4 Mb/s == 500 kB/s.
Then

(20 GB) * (1 s / 500 kB) * (1E6 kB / GB) * (1 hour / 3600 s) = 11.1

hours

Well here in Australia at least it would cost around $50 just for the
privilege of down-loading that 20GB. And definitely more than the cost of
buying the disk!

And you never expect any improvement at any time in the future?

Someday, perhaps, you'll get enough bandwidth to download mp3s and experience
the joy of DRM.