Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Default Fantasy tube

On Aug 16, 6:19 pm, Bret Ludwig wrote:
Don't say I said so, but as close as is going to exist to what Andrew
wants already does: it's a 3C33.

Spec sheet with curves here.

http://frank.yueksel.org/sheets31.html

Very nice indeed. Offered for sale elsewhere for USD75 each, doesn't
say how many the dealer has or what prospect of replacement... Sockets
by Johnson still in production, offered yet another place for USD45
each. Makes 845 look cheap. At these prices it may be worth trying a
little SE amp for those desperate for a new thrill. At least it is a
tube with a different, interesting shape.

Andre Jute

That same socket is what YOU want, except, you don't.

If you really wanted a tube rectifier-and if sound and not EMP
resistance is the goal, you really do not-what you want is not a
vacuum type but a xenon gas type. Refer to the GEC manual. The mercury
vapor type is also good if you are willing to put it in a cage and put
RF chokes in, but I doubt any tube plant will make them for you.

I would not bother making a new vacuum rectifier type for the simple
reason that if someone is hellbent on vacuum rectification they can
always use a strapped triode.