James Harris

Default System warm-up

"S888Wheel" wrote in message
snip
My hi-fi sounds great sometimes and not others.

snip
Maybe you could give us the specifics on your system.

Nad C541i as transport,
Meridian 203 DAC,
Rotel RA-02 amp,
Dynaudio Audience 62 floorstand speakers

Chord Optichord digital link,
Audioquest Python interconnects,
Atlas 2.0 speaker cable,
Atacama Equinox rack

The dealer advised a 30 to 60 minute warmup before each listening session - which is a
pain and I'm not convinced that the improved sound quality follows such a warmup. The
improvement seems random - and unexpected. Maybe mains problems? The sonic difference to
the bass is quite clear. Forgive the adjectives but when it's not working well the sound
is OK but 'thin' and lacks energy. When it works well the bass is rich and the sound
fuller and more musical at the same volume. It even sounds good with the volume lower.

The Audioquest Pythons were the last addition. I wasn't happy with the system - it didn't
have the clarity - until they were added to replace Atlas Voyagers. Does the kit list
above give any clues as to why the sound would change? (BTW, thanks too for your
suggestions on test CDs.)