Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default Attenuate -10db output

blackburst wrote:

On Aug 14, 6:39 am, Mike Rivers wrote:

I very much appreciate the advice given by all of the posters here. I
fully understand the comments by some that it's something that can be
easily accomplished with a soldering iron and a few resistors. But let
me add this perspective: In the audio and video fields, some people
gravitate toward becoming strong as ENGINEERS, and some become strong
as OPERATORS. In the audio field, my engineering skills are tolerable,
but not deep, while my operating skills are very good. (With the right
adapter kits, etc, I can match levels, etc and make things work well.)
In my chosen field, video, my engineering skills are excellent, as are
my operating skills. Rather than experiment with different value
resistors in a jerry-rig fashion, I would simply prefer to have a box
that will give me control of the level.

Skills: I can trust a box designed by experts better than my own
guesswork.

Flexibility: We may not always use this tuner, or this FM station. I
want to able to set the level BY EAR, to match adjacent channels, and
to match our actual program content.

Cost: We can afford it, and it's worth it for the flexibility.

Time: I'm something of a one-man-band. I spend a lot of time managing,
and it takes less time to just get a box.

Futu I won't always be at this job. The box with pots will be
easier for my successor to understand and operate.

But yes, I understand that a neophyte should be able to rig something
up. Maybe I'm just lazy.

Stop making sense! You sound entirely too rational. g

All good points. I could build a nice mic pre from a kit. I'm better off
embracing my .sig line and saying, "Thank you!" to Dan Kennedy.

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar