Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] air453@gmail.com is offline

Default Vintage Shure 55c, trouble getting good sound quality

On Jan 15, 7:17 am, Mike Rivers wrote:
On Jan 14, 10:29 pm, wrote:

The cable I have is this:http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Micropho...hure-55-51-708...
Am I assuming correctly that if I simply remove the 1/4" connector and
replace it with an XLR connector (wiring it the way you suggested) I
will have a proper lo-z cable for my microphone?

There's not enough information to tell how the cable is wired, or even
what type of cable is inside the jacket. First step is to unscrew the
shell of the 1/4" plug and try to determine if the cable has two
conductors inside the shield or just one. If it's two conductor,
you're in good shape. I suspect that this may be the case since the
seller is offering an XLR version at the same price, which suggests
(if he's making them right) that he's using 2-conductor cable.

According to the Shure diagram, there's a jumper between pins 1 and 2
inside the connector on the mic end. You'll want to remove this as
well when you modify the cable. To be sure, write to the seller and
ask him how he's wired the cable.

Ok, so I unscrewed the 14" end and took a look. I don't know much
about this exactly (usually i fix these things by trial and error),
but it looks like there's two wires, a red and a white, and then there
is some exposed wire soldered onto the same part as the white wire.

Removing that jumper makes me nervous, because I don't want to damage
the connector. First, if I unscrew the connector, will I be able to
easily get it back in place? And then, what is a jumper and how to I
remove it? Is it just solder than I can melt off?

Thanks,

Adam