Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default How safe operating an amp with no fuse?

Tomi Holger Engdahl wrote:
writes:

Tomi Holger Engdahl
25 jan 07:35 afficher les options

writes:
Did some experiments on the fuse of my amp... I replaced a 500mA 250v
fuse with a 1.6a 125v fuse and found the sound much improved. Then I
decided to replace the 1.6a fuse with a jumper made of a silver
paperclip, and found the sound improved much further. Then I replaced
the paper clip with silver solder, and found it improved further
(though I'm less sure about the solder being better than the clip
overall...).

I doubt that you could hear the difference of changing the fuse,
especially if you are changing the main amplifier use.

Yeah right. You and all the other queenies on this group, who've gone
to great lengths to attack me for this, because it defies your stupid
old religious beliefs. There are enough of you shouting "You are not
hearing differences, you are hearing placebos...", that you sound like
a chorus of drooling imbeciles to me. But I didn't ask for your opinion
or anyone else's on the question of whether the fuse tweak is audible
or not, did I?

You might not have asked the question of whether the fuse tweak is audible
or not, but when posting this kind of things questions to the newsgroups,
you should be prepared to also be ready to take the commends that
doubt the general idea of your modification.

Then if you're going to pick my query apart so you can attack me over
the part you don't like where I mention that removing the fuse made an
audible improvement, you should be "prepared to be ready" to have me
call you an ignorant moron. An ignorant moron pretends to be an expert
on something he knows nothing about, ie. the audible effects of fuses.
This group is filled with such morons.

I have gone to the lengths of describing the the dangers of running
the equipment without any fuse. And given few words on why the general
idea of running the equipment without fuse is bad, and does not have
any considerable effect on sound reproduction. If there is any
effect on the exhanging the fuse, then other changing effects around
(mains voltage varitions, equipment temperature, RFI) etc. have much
more effect on sound reproduction than that fuse has!

LOTS of things that you can do to an amp have an effect on sound
reproduction. Bending every single electronic component soldered to the
circuit board to a degree smaller than can be perceived by the naked
eye will have an effect on sound reproduction that in totality, is
greater than the one of using an alternate fuse. That doesn't mean the
fuse replacement tweak has no significant effect. I tested this tweak
on several components, and I damn well know i heard a significant
effect. Whether you can, I can't vouch for that. But I will say that
they sell audiophile-grade fuses on the net, and if someone is willing
to pay $25 for a fuse, I'm betting that I'm not the only one who can
hear the differences an alternate fuse can make.

My experices on the on this field are not just my beliefs.
I have anysed the siautaion on my eariler posting based on
well recognized electrical/electronics circuit theory.
And I have also practical experience: I have designed and built
my own audio equipment, I have repaired some of my own audio equipment etc..
I have operated the same audio equipment on my test bench with
original fuze, with wrong size fuse and even with fuse temporarily
short circuited with piece of wire when ruight fuse has been
missing (typically in well controlled environment where
the equipment is constantly monired..). There are some years
on those experiments, but I don't remeber ever hearing any difference
when changing the mains fuse to another or replacing with short circuit.

It does not sound like you conducted any specific and controlled tests
on whether the absence of fuse, or change in fuse type, had any audible
effects. It sounds more like you simply jumpered your fuse bridge
because you didn't have an appropriate fuse on hand. Did you go back
and A/B fuse/no-fuse a few times? Since aged audio techies are
notorious for having poor listening skills, you would need to do that a
number of times before you could even hope to lock in on changes. Also,
it would need to be more recent than something that happened a few
years ago that you can barely remember.

Unlike you and your cabal of religious audio zealots, I
have a mind of my own and a pair of ears that go with it.

I have also pair of ears. And I use them.

Unfortunately, your pair of ears are not as sensitive as my pair of
ears, as you say you can't recall hearing a difference when using an
alternate fuse. Yet I, Yves Bernard Andre, and countless audiophiles
(including those who buy high grade replacement fuses for their gear)
CAN hear these differences, easily. There is even a review on high
grade fuses in which the reviewer started out as skeptical as you are,
but eventually found that alternate fuses did make a positive
difference.

You are free to make your won decisions, and we are all
free in this open forums to make our own desicisions
and pos them here if we want. This is a free world and open
public forum.

Seems not everyone here recognizes that, since you all seem to think
that people need your mindless and baseless opinions before they can
decide wether something is audible or not. I even have people here
SHOUTING IN ALL CAPS to me, in a not-so-subtle way of offering their
opinion on what I should or shouldn't do.

And I think is know pretty much in the things I talk about here.
I think this there pretty many things in my home country and users
of this discussion group who agree on this with me.

Which brings me to another point. Some other idiot here spouted the
notion to me that the "majority of audio engineers" do not take the
fuse audibility into account, with the implication that Yves Bernard
Andre, a world-class audiophile engineer, is a deluded moron for using
custom made fuses, because the "majority of audio engineers do not take
the fuse audibility into account". There is an extreme danger with the
kind of moronic thinking that goes on among you technophiles, whereby
you believe an opinion to be correct, simply because your colleagues
believe it, and it is supported by the "majority". Major advances in
audio were made throughout its history, only because someone more
brilliant than you people thought "outside the box", that your very
narrow minds live in.

If you did ever want to learn something new and not just
repeat what you're told, it would have taken you less time to conduct
the same experiment I did and find out for yourself, than it did to
formulate your response here.

I have conducted prety many experiment on many audio things..
Experiemtnally tested many things before believing them.

I'll bet I have conducted far more than you have, in your lifetime. But
if all you ever did was try to measure the conditions, your listening
skills never improve.

I think what you heard is caused memery by the psychological effect
that you though you were improving the device by changing the
fuse.

aka "placebo". Yeah, I get it, Einstein. You're a dumbass ****wit who
thinks the world begins and ends with the very limited amount of
information you've learned about electronics.

You have misjudged me.

You don't know just how
ignorant you are and how little you know about audio. Im sure you know
more about electronics, but Ive forgotten more about music reproduction
than you now know. But since you think you're smarter than the top
engineer at YBA,

Where have I said that that I claim to be smarter than the too engineer at YBA ?

If you claim that fuses are not and can not have an audible effect, as
everyone else here does, than you claim to know more than YBA, since he
has tested this and even specifies special fuses for his amps. One of
your colleagues, Arnold Krueger, one of the most ignorant and deranged
audio techs that I've ever witnessed in my life, in this very thread,
trashed this same engineer for his accomplishments. Why, because this
supreme idiot called Krueger, dismissed this world-class engineer on
the basis that he couldn't find any reasoning behind YBAs reasoning.
This act of mocking, deriding and dismissing that which you can't find
an explanation for is what is typical of audio techies on the net, and
why you people are constantly scoffed at and disregarded by the general
audiophile community.

why don't you name the world class amp YOU designed,
so I can have a listen and compare it?

Name one you designed.

You don't get it. I'm not the one claiming YBA is full of ****, am I?
Either fuses have an audible difference or they DON'T. YBA says they
do. You and Arnold Krueger say they don't. Which of you three produces
world-class audiophile components that are very well reviewed and
regarded?

I quess that in real life systems if changing that fuse had
any noticeable effect on the audio amplifier, that amplifier
was not well designed, and turnign other loads on your house
on/off would have more effect on the amplifier performance
than changing the fuse.

Emphasis on "I guess"... since that is mostly what you techies seem to
be able to do. The other thing you people are good at doing, is coming
up with rationalizations on why someone might hear a change in
something; ie. "it was not well designed", "it was an old fuse", etc.
etc. etc. Me, I don't have to guess, I HEARD the differences, and so do
others. A tech from this group even emailed me the other day to explain
that they conducted similar experiments on fuses and found them all to
be audible.

How did the sound really improve ?
Can you describe how did that removing the fuse help.

I did discuss this in greater detail in a recent post to someone else
in this thread. If you're that curious, try the experiment again in a
decent sounding audio amp, using a paper clip or soldering a wire
bridge. Listen a few times, before you conclude no differences. If you
conclude no differences, fine. That doesn't mean there aren't any, just
that we have different opinions.

Like I also said elsewhere in this
thread, you wanna-be engineers always rationalize things you don't
understand, because they don't follow what you think is true according
to your religious beliefs in audio (and which often, isn't). STOP
guessing and do the damn experiment for yourself, or shut up already.

I don't need to repeat the experiments.

So much for your scientific curiousity. Then you don't need to ask me
questions on my experiments, if you've already concluded I'm full of
it. Perhaps you're just trolling me, like the rest.

I have hear didfferences between different CD players, amplifiers,
speakes, even between some cables...

"Even between some cables...". ROTFLMAO!!! That statement says more
about you to me than anything else you've said about fuses.

You are an incorrigible and predictable techie, you know that...

Changing the mains fuse to another has not made absolutely no
difference on the sound heard on the systems.

I suppose next you'll say changing the mains cables has no effect
either...

I have done experimenting on many audio things.

And on those experiements I have also learned how easy it is
to fool your hearing by the beliefs.. Ever been in "blind test"
where you just try to hear the difference without previous
knowlege on the things you test...

Yes, and back in the day, I also conducted double-blind level-measured
abx tests as well; as a test of the test. In the case of some of the
recent "cryogentic" tests I conducted on my amp and preamp (whereby I
deep froze the gear), I found after warming it back up and listening,
that the results (at first) were NOT what I expected. There are plenty
of tests I conduct that do not meet my preconceived notions, which
indicates the listening is not being subjected to any placebo effect,
and being "fooled by my beliefs" as you claim. I can always describe
the exact nature of the changes I hear, and I always ensure that this
is repeatable (since changes can occur for any number of reasons -
simply switching on and off your amp for a second can change the
sound).

Maybe I as a rude. Sorry on that.
Usually you need to be a little bit rude to weak up people that are
doign stupid dangerous things.

I know. I feel the same way, when I see people doing "stupid things".

Based on the postings you have posted here I think pretty much
same about you. And I am free to keep my opinion until there is a
reason to change that.

You're free to believe what you wish to believe, and I have no desire
to change your opinion on anything, or anyone else's here for that
matter. But the fact remains that almost everyone in this thread who
said I was full of this for suggesting fuses have an audible effect,
NEVER TESTED IT. Religious audio zealots of the type you find on this
group always love talking out of their asses, and always demand proof
of others.

What was your initial jurgement on thinking why removing them would
improve sound ?

You mean why did I do it in the first place? Desperation. They're very
old components these amps and preamps but at the time, they were all I
to listen to music with. They desperately needed some kind of tweaking,
because I was used to much better grade of sound reproduction. I tried
many ways to improve their sound, and while I did, I needed to take it
to the "next level". Using a jumper over the fuse bridge was simply a
"why not?" idea I thought of (without realizing I wasn't the first to
try this). While it did take it to another level, I had to bring it
back to the previous level, because I didn't want to risk destroying
the amp, which wasn't mine to destroy....

So that already shoots down your
theoretical BS about "worse sound easily".

I am talking on experience here.. I have expriemtned with
transistor amplifier circuits... and run transistors without
heatsik when they should have had one... and hard and seen effects
that happen when you run them for some time...
Burned few fingers and transistors back them.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I touched the transistors of this amp after
running it without a heatsink all night, and never burned my fingers.
Some heatsinks it appears, are redundant.

Can you tell which specific amplifeir you have modified ?

Its a Technics, and I mentioned the model to someone else in this
thread.

Nothing particularly new about audio that I would have not known
earlier. Maybe I should have written my earlier posting in a little
bit different format... less theory and more real world experiment
results.

I think I would have responded better to that.

The end of your posting gave a better picture on you.
It seems that you have been pretty careful on your experiments,
and know more on things you do that seemed based on the first posting.
Sorry. It is pretty easy to get wrong impressions on the people
based on their postins.

Tell me about it! Although I don't have an engineering background,
people here told me I don't even have any concept of what a fuse is for
or what it does in an amp, and that their 12 year old knows more about
amps and fuses than I do (which means I really didn't learn much in the
last 26 years as an audiophile and electronics tinkerer). I might have
been insulted by that, if the poster wasn't such a complete idiot. In
another example, I've been confirmed 100% by the people on this board
to be a "troll" and they say "trolling" is the only reason I posted
here, when that is complete and utter bull****. Funny how one person
here spews some piece of bull****, and all the little sheep follow
along and believe it true.

That can happens on some equipment. There are amplifiers that designed
in such way that there is overuse of all kind of things. Much larger
hetsinks that are needed, overrated components etc.. just to be on
safe side in all cases.

Exactly my conclusion; avoids unneecssary lawsuits. I don't see the
problem if you have an old amp that ain't worth much, and you
experiment on it. Because of "overdesign" and because I believe in the
concept of minimalism in audio, this is how I learn what does and
doesn't work, and then I apply it to my GOOD gear. Of course, I'm not
insane, so I won't do things I believe will cause undue damage.

And there are also amplifiers that are pretty much optimized
to provide what is promised with close to minimal cost...
Taking out parts in such design can cause pretty nasty
consequences.

I know, which is why I'd never remove the heatsink in my Class A amp...