Posted to rec.audio.tech
mc

Default How safe operating an amp with no fuse?

wrote in message
oups.com...

mc wrote:

"Poor connection" has NOTHING to do with this phenomenon. Stop
speculating on things you know nothing about. I never cease to be
amazed at how wanna-be engineers and techies always either:

*Chuckle*

What is stupid about looking for a possible explanation for the
phenomenon
you say you observed? I didn't say you didn't observe it.

I believe you did suggest this, and many here were blatant about saying
I did not hear what I know I heard. I don't know if that included you,
I'm not going to re-read all of your messages to me.

So you don't recall what I said, but you'll insult me for it anyhow?
*chuckle again*

But I recall
you're the one that suggested there must be a problem with my fuse.
That, you reasoned, must explain what I heard. I then countered that
you are simply a typical techie idiot, trying to find a reason to
explain what doesn't fit all the theories you learned about how audio
works,

Why on earth shouldn't I try to find explanations for phenomena that occur?

What response did you want from me?

Apparently, you're angry at the people who disbelieved you, and also angry
at the people who thought you might be telling the truth and wanted to try
to figure out how this strange phenomenon might work. Whom are you not angry
at?

because they never told about fuses impairing sound quality in
your engineering correspondence course. I then told you you could
easily verify this for yourself, by performing the same experiment.

Why not tell us a little more about your own results? After all, you are
making extraordinary claims.

Which rather than showing yourself to be a great thinker, makes you
appear to be a dizzy fool.

I gather your real hobby is insulting people.

BTW, it's been evident all along that you're probably putting us on.

admit this could be true. Furthermore, how can something "probable" be
"evident" and "evident all along" even? You're really not the brightest
bulb in the box, are you?

It can certainly be evident that something is probably the case. For
instance, right now, a member of my family has a temperature of 101 F and I
think it is evident that she probably has the flu. (I.e., something is
evident which implies a high probability of something else.) Where did you
study logic?

But frankly, it never even occurred to me at the time of
writing my initial post that the concept of the fuse having an audible
effect was at all controversial, since I'd recently read on the net
about other audiophiles talking about this aspect of fuses.

I hadn't, except for speaker fuses. Can you point me to some references?
You *do* mean the incoming AC power fuse, don't you?

YES, you people are a form of temporary amusement to me, ever since you
started attacking me over my query.

Obviously, your real hobby is insulting people. *chuckle again*

Let me toss the ball back into your court. Assuming this effect is real,
what can you tell us about it and what measurements have you made?

"Measurements"? Are you serious? I'm not a gear head, I'm an
audiophile, mate. This may strike you as odd for one to do this, but I
LISTENED to the damned thing, you dumb fool. Has that ever occurred to
any of you, I wonder? To actually LISTEN to audio equipment to
determine what is and isn't good, since that's how it's designed to
work? Geez, its like talking to a class of kindergarten kids around
here.

But do you admit that there is such a thing as measurements, and that if
you've discovered an unusual effect, measurements might help you understand
how it works?

Or are real audiophile amplifiers supposed to be designed and built without
the use of test equipment?

How long had the amplifier gone unused before you did the experiment, and
could it be
improving simply because the electrolytic capacitors are re-forming after
a long period of disuse?

No, this is more of your crackpot theories to explain what you think
doesn't exist and won't attempt to find out for yourself. I had been
using the amp regularly for over 6 months. There are also a million
other things I did to this amp that changed the sound and that aren't
related to "capacitors reforming".... but God knows, I am not going to
even try to inform you about those experiments, since I know enough
about putting pearls before swine.

The insult density here is truly amazing. Statements about my alleged
stupidity (etc.) are outnumbering statements about audio about four to one.
Let's see whether this ratio holds up as you continue... (Readers wishing
to keep track of it will have to refer to the message I'm quoting, as I
don't wish to quote the rest of it here.)

Can anyone other than you hear the difference?

Yes, my wife can. I also tested her today on the sound of the amp after
deep-freezing it, and after a few min., she described the same sonic
changes that I observed myself. And just like you and the rest of your
buds here, she's not an audiophile and has no special listening skills.

Blind test, or did she know which one was supposed to sound better? And how
do you talk to her when she questions your judgments? The same way you talk
to us?