Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default How safe operating an amp with no fuse?

mc wrote:

"Poor connection" has NOTHING to do with this phenomenon. Stop
speculating on things you know nothing about. I never cease to be
amazed at how wanna-be engineers and techies always either:

*Chuckle*

What is stupid about looking for a possible explanation for the phenomenon
you say you observed? I didn't say you didn't observe it.

I believe you did suggest this, and many here were blatant about saying
I did not hear what I know I heard. I don't know if that included you,
I'm not going to re-read all of your messages to me. But I recall
you're the one that suggested there must be a problem with my fuse.
That, you reasoned, must explain what I heard. I then countered that
you are simply a typical techie idiot, trying to find a reason to
explain what doesn't fit all the theories you learned about how audio
works, because they never told about fuses impairing sound quality in
your engineering correspondence course. I then told you you could
easily verify this for yourself, by performing the same experiment.
Then instead of responding to this, you cut out that bit in your reply
above and responded with a typically mindless retort of "chuckle".
Which rather than showing yourself to be a great thinker, makes you
appear to be a dizzy fool.

BTW, it's been evident all along that you're probably putting us on.

No, it hasn't. The "troll theory" was only trotted out in mid-stream,
after some truly dumbas fool among you got so shocked by the idea that
a fuse can be audible, they figured no one could be crazy enough to
admit this could be true. Furthermore, how can something "probable" be
"evident" and "evident all along" even? You're really not the brightest
bulb in the box, are you?

I admit I was putting you idiots on about having the fuseless amp in my
baby's room, but that's it. I was serious about everything else,
including the fact that I was asking about the risks involved of
running an amp without fuse, because I found the sound much improved
without it. But frankly, it never even occurred to me at the time of
writing my initial post that the concept of the fuse having an audible
effect was at all controversial, since I'd recently read on the net
about other audiophiles talking about this aspect of fuses. I guess you
could say I "forgot" that techies that hang around here are not
audiophiles by any stretch. By the looks of things, you're just a bunch
of old farts with "test benches", and excited more about the technical
aspects of audio gear, than the fact that they are meant to reproduce
music. I used to be that way when I was an idiot like yourself,
starting out in the hobby. But that was a hell of a long time ago.

YES, you people are a form of temporary amusement to me, ever since you
started attacking me over my query. The first attack on me and all
subsequent ones, was like having thumb tacks thrown at you by midgets.
You want to say, "what the hell do these people think theyr'e doing?".
But that doesn't mean I came here to "troll" anyone. I simply responded
with the instant hostility I was greeted with on this group, in kind.
YOU people are the "trolls", as I see it. However, even if that were
true, I'd say with 88 responses in my thread, I'm a pretty damn
successful troll. Even after demanding that fools with nothing
intelligent to respond with stay out of my thread, it seems I still
managed to "troll" that many of you, according to your groundless
theories. So what does that say about you lot of silly old twits, that
you can be so easily manipulated by someone who's never even posted on
your newsgroup? What else do you think it says to intelligent and truly
objective readers about how "objective" you people are, when you invent
motives for me (the "troll" accusation), then declare that you all know
this to be true, after providing no solid evidence of your claim?

Now on the other hand, which one of you blithering idiots can call
yourselves a successful audiophile amplifier designer? Thought so. Yet
you find no qualms about mocking and deriding successful audio
engineers, because even when they've proven their theories, you call
them fools. That's what makes your kind -true- fools and pathetic
newsgroup junkies.

But for the sake of the audience I tried to discuss the technical issue
that you brought up

You didn't try to "discuss" anything. You just gave me your supposedly
"expert opinion" about what you thought I had heard and why you thought
that, and after I asked you to keep your lame placebo theories to
yourself and find out for yourself if what I say is true, you ignored
that, snipped it out and "chuckled" like a blithering idiot. Don't even
pretend that you or the rest of your cronies are "objective" or
open-minded.

My theory is that (if the effect was real) the original fuse in the amp. was getting old
and had increased in resistance substantially. The comparison that is called for is
original fuse vs. new fuse of same specifications.

Look Grimley, I already told you, this effect was heard under THREE
different components; amp, preamp, cd player. That eliminates your
idiotic theories about how I am not hearing what I know I'm hearing,
because the fuse is old or whatever. How ****ing stupid do you have to
be that I have to explain this three times to you? Besides that, the
claim everyone is making against me here is that no way on earth could
a fuse be audible. Therefore, if you're claiming I didn't hear what I
know I heard, it should not matter how old the fuse is anyway.

Let me toss the ball back into your court. Assuming this effect is real,
what can you tell us about it and what measurements have you made?

"Measurements"? Are you serious? I'm not a gear head, I'm an
audiophile, mate. This may strike you as odd for one to do this, but I
LISTENED to the damned thing, you dumb fool. Has that ever occurred to
any of you, I wonder? To actually LISTEN to audio equipment to
determine what is and isn't good, since that's how it's designed to
work? Geez, its like talking to a class of kindergarten kids around
here.

Was it accompanied by a change in the output voltage from the amplifier's power supply?

Who says this change will or wont produce the difference I heard, and
that the diff can be measured this way? But look egghead, if you want
to take measurements, be my guest. Assuming that YOU are not trolling
ME, all you have to do is perform the same experiment with a silver
solder fuse and measure whatever your heart desires.

How long had the amplifier gone unused before you did the experiment, and could it be
improving simply because the electrolytic capacitors are re-forming after a long period of disuse?

No, this is more of your crackpot theories to explain what you think
doesn't exist and won't attempt to find out for yourself. I had been
using the amp regularly for over 6 months. There are also a million
other things I did to this amp that changed the sound and that aren't
related to "capacitors reforming".... but God knows, I am not going to
even try to inform you about those experiments, since I know enough
about putting pearls before swine.

What was the nature of the change in the audio output --

I can only talk about the changes in a subjective listening test. This
was but one of many tweak experiments I conducted recently and it was a
few days ago, so I cant recall 100% any more what the exact
characteristics were, and both the paper clip and the silver solder
exhibited different characteristics (but both were better than the
original fuse). Speaking in general terms, "everything was better" when
I used an alternative to the fuse. Resolution was noticeably higher,
the music was more enjoyable to listen to. I'm sure I could have
discovered another material for my alternative makeshift fuse that
would have been superior to both the paper clip and the silver solder.
But thanks to you jerkoffs on this group screaming at me about killing
my family, my neighbors, and going to helll in a firey blaze, I never
pursued this experiment. Not really because I was scared about dying in
a fire or anything, but because the old amp is actually my wifes, and
she has a strong emotional attachment to it, and I don't want to
destroy it, if I don't have to....

Don't even THINK to ask me to do double blind tests or the like. I
could not put it any clearer than to tell you I do not give the
slightest **** about whether you or anyone here believes me or not. I
did not come here to debate tweaks with dogmatic fools who think we
reached the pinnacle of audio 30 years ago when they finished their
engineering training. I'm only responding to defend what I know to be
true (since my findings were attacked), and to say that any further
"proof" at this point must come from you, when you decide to stop being
lazy and conduct your own experiments. Although I doubt any of you
chicken****s would have the guts to post positive findings on something
like this in this group, with all your little boy comrades eyeing you.

have you measured distortion, frequency response, etc.?
Have you compared old and new fuses with the same electrical ratings?

I only compared fuses of different ratings, not having two the same on
hand. Nothing stopping you from conducting this experiment, though, or
the ones on measurements.

Can anyone other than you hear the difference?

Yes, my wife can. I also tested her today on the sound of the amp after
deep-freezing it, and after a few min., she described the same sonic
changes that I observed myself. And just like you and the rest of your
buds here, she's not an audiophile and has no special listening skills.

Instead of asking dumb questions like this, you can answer it yourself
by subjectively testing yourself to see if there is any validity to it.
But even if you can't hear a difference, that doesn't mean the
difference isn't there; only that you're too old and deaf to hear it.
However, it does prove the condition to yourself, if you are curious
about my experiment. It may sadden you to learn this, but that's the
best anyone can do in this hobby, kiddo.