Patrick Turner

tubesforall wrote:

THis is after all tube group--and I agree that tubes do sound better than
SS. I use SET 45 tube and SET 2A3 tube amps for all my playback.

I've never understand why SS could not sound as good--but I suspect it has
to do with the requirement of NFB in the design.

Many boil down the difference to NFB.

NFB is needed for SS to work at all.

There is more to it than that, and maybe you'd like a Nelson Pass
Zen amp, with one lone mosfet in class A as the active device,
with about 12 dB of shunt NFB, or about the same amount
of native local electrostatic NFB in your 2A3.

Not all NFB is evil, imho.

Patrick Turner.

"cowboy" cacheoverflow@yahooDOTcom wrote in message

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 02:36:17 +1100, Patrick Turner
wrote:

Vinyl refuses to go entirely away.

Gettin' darned close these days..... :-)

When its really good, and by no means is it ever always good,
its bleedin fabulous, and the same might be said about digital,
but I don't know many who'd say that digital will always be better than
the best
from vinyl..

The best digital always will be.

Pinkerton:

we could actually take you much more seriously on the subject of digital
vs. vinyl, if it weren't for the fact that your ears are too tone-deaf to
hear the day & night superiority of the musicality of tubes over the
relatively ugly harsh sound of even the best solid state gear. I am not
saying that vinyl is superior to digital, but rather just saying that
Pinky is ill-equipped to hear the differences, he has no credibility if he
can't even hear that tubes sound better than transistors.

This group would not even exist, if not for the fact that a lot of people
in the world have the ears to hear the huge difference between tubes and
solid state.

It is sad that you must have used a circular saw too much in your youth,
and can nowadays not hear the harshness of even the best solid state
equipment. If transistors and negative feedback were good things, no one
in their right mind would put up with tubes, tube reliability, tube
efficiency, tube testers or any of this mess.

It hurts my heart that you haven't discovered the magic of tubes, reminds
me of a friend who has never been fortunate enough to make love to a
beautiful woman, I can describe it to him, but he will never understand
what all the fuss is about until he experiences it and the magic will have
taken him in. Great food is another analogy, one can say great food is
over-rated, only until they experience it and it clicks in their brain
that they have been missing a huge something all these years.

cheers!

cowboy