Peter Larsen

Default vertical arrays

Chris Whealy wrote:

The church I go to recently looked into getting a vertical
line array system, but it rapidly became apparent that our
auditorium was too small for such a speaker system.

Plain nonsense, put two loudspeakers above oneanother and you have a
vertical line array, a short one, but it is valid.

In order to be in the far field, the audience should not be
closer that 25 to 30 metres from the line array.

No, only for a similarly large array.

Our audience is only 15m away.

Example, not endorsement: see http://www.slsloudspeakers.com

Also, you need a fairly large vertical height in which
to hang the array, again, our building could
not accomodate such a system.

WHAT a "such a system"?

As great as they are, unless your building is acousically
large, it does not make much sense to use a line array.

A ribbon loudspeaker constitutes A line array.

It doesn't have to be a full size stadium PA to constitute a valid line
array, the ones used in that context are btw. bent so that the audience
can still get a balanced sound - and not an insanely loud sound - close
to their "foot".

Chris W

Kind regards

Peter Larsen